Trash to Treasure
My Take on Fashion Is A Little Different
I was raised to believe that second-hand items were just as wonderful as brand new items. What’s the old saying, “One man’s junk is another man’s treasure?” When I was a little girl, my mom would put us girls in the back of a car each Saturday morning, grab us a bag of donut holes, and we’d set out to see what we could find at local garage sales. My mom always took great care to make sure our clothes were fashionable, whether they were brand new or secondhand, or even if they were a mix of both!
“Never underestimate the power of a woman with a newspaper, a map, and a wallet full of small bills on a Saturday morning.” ~ Anonymous
As we grew older we kept up our tradition of thrifting. When mom and Amy and I would vacation together like we did in San Francisco over a decade ago, we would make it a point to find the biggest Goodwill in the area and spend hours looking for treasures. Even today, a few times per year, we meet up and head to thrift stores like Plato’s Closet, Consignment stores and Goodwill. It’s always a good time, and some of my favorite memories are of days such as these!
My love for all things thrifted spills over into decorating as well. My mom and sister and I head to Canton, Texas once per year to visit the world’s largest flea market. We scour the antique booths and junk yards for items we can use to decorate our homes. In fact, these paintings hanging in my breakfast room were found in the junk yards of Canton for $30 for the pair!
Top 8 Reasons To Thrift
- It’s eco-friendly! Keep stuff from heading to landfills by repurposing them!
- The fun of searching for items alongside your lifetime favorite people is unparalleled.
- It’s easy on the pocketbook!
- You can find some unique, one-of-a-kind items that nobody else has!
- Find strange items to make lots of jokes about!
- You can resell items for profit.
- Grow your reading library for pennies on the dollar.
- To give new life to authentic vintage pieces both in fashion and home décor.
Here is my mom, my sister and myself taken more recently. We will be heading out to thrift together later this fall in Canton, TX! Stay tuned for our bargain hunting adventures, which I will be sharing on my Instagram stories at @sleektochicdesign!